Process for adding a New Application
- Go to Add a New Application
- Enter a Code for the application e.g. “PC/SOAP”
- Enter a Name for the application e.g. “Personal Care Soap”
- Add a description if required
- Add a Base Item if required
- Choose if the application ‘Belongs To’ another Application, such as “Personal Care”
- Choose if the application has ‘Belonging Applications’ such as ‘Liquid Soap’ or ‘Bar Soap’
- Click Save
Belonged and Belonging applications is an extremely useful way to structure applications for later searching and rule writing, e.g. Suitability Constraints and Document Behaviours.
Applications ‘Belonged To’ can be approximated as the ‘parent’ application and ‘Belonging Applications’ as the ‘offspring’ applications. Multiple parent and offspring relationships are allowed.
As another example, the application ‘Washing Up Liquid’ may Belong to the Application ‘Detergents’, and a Belonging Application might be ‘Pearlised Washing Up Liquid’. This could be used to apply rules for detergents (e.g. about allergen labelling) to all applications belonging to ‘Detergents’.
Base items can be useful for expressing your formulation as it may be used in a consumer product e.g. your fragrance at 1% in a foam bath base, or your flavouring at 0.1% in ground coffee. It may be helpful in providing information to parties further down the supply chain e.g. documentation to assist in authoring a safety data sheet for their product that contains your formulation.
It is possible to use either a Raw Material or a Formulation as a base item for an application depending on specific circumstances.
- Formulation. If you use a physical base and know all of the Raw Materials present. (e.g. an EDT base that is 85% Ethanol and 15% Water)
- Raw Material with a composition. For a physical base where not all of the components are known. (e.g. a purchased base where the SDS only shows the hazardous ingredients) In this case, the composition may be less than 100% but still reflect all of the relevant hazards of the base.
- Raw Material without a composition. (e.g. a Reed Diffuser base that is just DPGMME)